International Sushi 🍣 Day, so I have this recipe just for you!
400g sushi rice
1 bunch asparagus spears
1/2 carrot in long thin strips
4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp mirin
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
150g fresh beetroot, peeled and cut into chunks
6 nori sheets
4 Tbsp kewpie mayo
1/2 cucumber in long thin strips
1/2 red caspicum cut into long thin strips
To serve - tamari/soy sauce, wasabi, pink pickled ginger, lime juice.
1. Weigh the sushi rice into simmering basket and rinse under cold tap until the water is clear.
2. Place basket into the thermomix bowl add 1000g of water.
3. Line the varoma tray with varoma paper. Whisk eggs together lightly and pour onto the lined varoma tray. Add carrot and asparagus into the varoma dish put the varoma into position and steam for 15 mins, varoma temperature, on speed 3.5.
4. Check the asparagus and carrot to see if they are just cooked through and place into iced water. Check the omelette is cooked and allow to cool before slicing into thin strips.
5. The rice may still need to be cooked for another 5 mins, varoma temperature, speed 3.5.
6. Mix together the rice vinegar, mirin, sugar and salt until they have dissolved and set aside.
7. When the rice is cooked spread it out in a large shallow dish to cool. Empty the water from the thermomix bowl. Add the beetroot and chop for 3 secs ,speed 5.
8. When rice has cooled a little, gently stir through rice vinegar dressing and the chopped beetroot. Wait till rice has cooled, before assembling sushi rolls.
9. Use wet hands and place 1 piece of nori shiny side down on a sushi mat. Spread 1/6 of the beetroot rice on the first third of the nori sheet pressing it down firmly. About 1cm from the edge of the rice make dent with your fingers a horizontal line. Add a little of each vegetable, mayo and egg omelette strips. Roll tightly using the sushi mat. Use a little water on the top 2cm to seal each roll. Repeat with the remaining 5 nori sheets.
10. Let the sushi rolls sit for a few minutes before cutting into your chosen serving sizes slices with a very sharp knife. Chill and serve with your favourite dipping sauce and condiments.